Here’s my dairy-free take to the traditional French onion soup. Made hearty and satisfying with the addition of mushrooms.
Why I love this soup
This soup is not only comforting and delicious, but it is also good for you. Both onions and mushrooms are loaded with antioxidants and cancer fighting properties. They also help boost the immune systems and are full of beneficial phytonutrients. Too many big words? Basically, just make this :)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg brown onions (6 large onion), Peeled & Quartered
- 350g button or flat mushroom, sliced
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 4 tbsp water
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- Peel and half onions. Slice thinly with a knife or add to Cuisine Companion bowl and chop for 15 seconds using chopping blade at speed 5.
- Replace blade to stirring blade. Add olive oil and saute for 10 minutes at 100 C.
- Add stock and cook for 30 minutes at 100 C reduce to speed 4.
- Add mushroom and cook for 5 minutes/100 degrees/speed 4.
- Mix tapioca flour with 4 tablespoon water to form a smooth paste.
- Add tapioca paste to CC bowl and mix for 2 minute / 100 degrees / speed 4.
- Serve in soup bowls and season with salt and pepper.