I love strawberries! Especially when they’re in season. Sometimes I like adding strawberries to my smoothies and oats, but mostly I like eating them fresh out of the punnet. However, the other week, I made some vegan waffles and I felt like slathering them with some peanut butter and strawberry jam. But the problem is, I don’t have any jam. I’ve stopped buying jams two to three years ago as I find them too sweet for me. Did you know that traditional jam uses 1 cup of sugar per 250g strawberries? That’s insane! So I’ve decided to make my own quick and easy strawberry jam.
YUM! This easy strawberry jam is not only simple to make (you only need four ingredients), but it also tastes soooo fresh. I use raw sugar in this recipe, but you can replace it with your favourite natural sweetener such as Stevia, Norbu or even Xylitol. Nowadays, I don’t mind a bit of sugar here and there, and plus, it’s nowhere near the amount of sugar in storebought jams. Only three (3) tablespoons instead of one cup of sugar used in the traditional jam recipe!
If you ever wanted to make a small volume of jam, without all the fuss of finding jam sugar, pectin, or having to sterilise jars, then this recipe is for you.
Easy Strawberry Jam
Make your own homemade low sugar strawberries using only a handful of ingredients.
- 1 punnet (250g fresh strawberries)
- 3 tablespoons of raw sugar*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of half lemon
- Wash, drain and hull strawberries.
- Add to a small pan on medium heat and start mashing the strawberries (use potato masher or fork).
- Add sugar and lemon juice into the pan.
- Bring to boil and then lower the heat and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer into a clean, airtight jar (I got mine from IKEA), let it cool, and store in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
*You can replace sugar with your favourite sweetener such as Stevia, Norbu or Xylitol
If you make this, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below or find me on Instagram and share your creation. Don’t forget to tag me @passionatelykeren so I won’t miss your post.