A while ago I was given a dozen of Meyer Lemons. I’ve never had them before so I was quite surprised at how mild they are compared to the regular lemons. They’re smaller, sweeter and their skins are softer than regular lemon.
So what do you do when life gives you lemons? You make lemon cake of course.
The secret to making this vegan meyer lemon cake so soft and moist is that you use the entire lemon (4 of them to be exact). Skin and all. Less waste, more flavour.
It is very easy to make:
- You cut the lemon
- You mix the flours and baking soda together
- You blend the wet ingredients and lemon together
- You add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
- And you bake the thing.
Oh and there’s more
I added slices of fresh lemon on top of the cake to give it extra zing! No mucking around here. This is the ultimate lemon cake for hardcore lemon fan.
What are you waiting for…
This cake uses a total of six whole Meyer lemons (four for the batter and two for the topping). Meyer lemon is smaller, sweeter and less tangy than normal lemon but you can also normal lemon as an alternative (use two instead of four for the batter). And if you worried about it being too bitter, you can peel the skin off before putting them in the blender.
Stay in touch!
If you make this cake, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @passionatelykeren so I won’t miss your post.
Vegan Meyer Lemon Cake
A delicious, soft, and super lemony cake that will take your breath away
- 4 Meyer lemon (washed and quartered)
- 2 Meyer lemon (slice thinly)
- 1 cups all-purpose flour (or glutenfree flour for GF option)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Lightly spray a cake tin. I use a small loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, add plain flour, almond flour and baking soda. Mix well
- Remove seeds from lemon quartered. Add them to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add coconut oil, sugar, water, vinegar, vanilla extract and salt into the blender and blend for a few seconds to combine.
- Pour the mixture into flour, mix until just combine.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Carefully place sliced lemon on the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Check after 30 minutes by inserting a knife or a skewer in the middle of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you don’t have Meyer lemons required for the recipes you can replace them with 2 normal lemons.