A comforting and delicious grain-free kitchari that you will absolutely love
1. The night before - rinse mungbean, quinoa, and lentils and soak them. Make sure you use a large bowl filled with with water.
2. The following day - drain the soaked beans and seeds and rinse under running water. Set aside.
3. Heat coconut oil over medium heat, in a cast iron pot (or any heavy-bottomed pot). Add onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek and ground coriander. Cook for a few minutes until seeds begin to pop. Add the rinsed beans, and stir to coat.
4. Add stock cube and water. then bring to boiling over medium heat.
5. Cover and reduce to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the chopped veggies and cook until they become soft, about 20 minutes. Stir the pot every now and then to prevent it sticking on to the bottom.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Adjust the consistency to your liking by add more water for a soupier consistency, and increasing the cooking time for a thicker, creamier soup.
8. Serve with fresh coriander.
If you like your spices like I do, you can add some freshly sautéed spices for bolder flavours. In a separate saucepan, sauté 1 tsp of mustard seeds in a bit of coconut oil until they pop. Then add 1/2 tsp of cumin seed. Stir together to release the flavours. Stir the sautéed spices into the cooked kitchari mixture just before serving.