WHY DO I WANT TO DO THIS?
This is something you will need to answer yourself. Though there are many reasons for people to pursue this lifestyle, I think the answer should be why not? If we can survive, thrive and be healthy from plant-sourced nutrients, without harming animals, the environment and the planet, then why not?
If you can’t find your answer immediately, then why not try it and see how you feel. You’ve got nothing to lose. It’s a great way to step outside of your comfort zone, detox, recalibrate your taste buds and, perhaps, lose a bit of weight along the way. Once you commit to the lifestyle and feel the benefits, you will see how powerful it can be for your mind, body and spirit.
IS IT HEALTHY FOR ME?
It is! But don’t take my word for it.
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
To find out more about what they think, you can read their full statement here.
5 REASONS I CHOOSE PLANTBASED FOOD
1. I practise my values every time I choose to eat plant-based food. I value life, love and peace. Knowing that I’m doing my best to cause as little harm as possible towards other living beings makes me kind of proud of myself.
2. No more bloating! This was a big factor for me. I used to feel bloated all the time, probably from all the dairy I was eating. Since I went on a plant-based diet I hardly ever bloat.
3. Improved immune system. Plant-based foods contain lots of phytonutrients which boost your body’s immune system. It helps you recover faster and also prevents you from getting sick in the first place.
4. Radiant skin. Eating more greens has definitely improved the complexion of my skin and hair. Honestly, my skin was never bad to begin with, but since the transition, it has become better. I get even less pimples and I get compliments from people about how my hair and skin have a healthy glow.
5. More food. I wish I had a better reason but I just love to eat! And, since plant-based food are often low in calories, I can eat a lot more that I used to without packing on the pounds. It makes me very, very happy.
READY FOR A CHALLENGE?
To get your toes wet, start with having a vegan breakfast every day.
Here’s an easy and delicious green smoothie recipe, which I have every morning, to get you started. All you need is to keep an open mind, an open heart and think of this as an experiment, not a life sentence. Make sure to check out our resources page, blog and recipes for tips and inspirational interviews
Little Green Smoothie
2 big handfuls of baby spinach
1 ripe banana
1 cup of non-dairy milk
3 sprigs of parsley
10 mint leaves
a handful of ice blocks (about 4-5 cubes)
Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Serve.
Do you like our green smoothie recipe? If you have a favourite vegan breakfast recipe of your own, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
JOIN THE VIP COMMUNITY
Join our VIP (“Vegans in Progress”) community and get updated on new vegan recipes, tips, resources and giveaways.