Today I will share with you one of my favourite things to make (next to these tasty things). *Drumroll*….. please be upstanding for the Healthy Turmeric Stir Fried Brown Rice!
Everyone has a favourite recipe. It’s that dish that you love, that everybody else loves, that always works, no matter how crazy you get with the ingredients or how lazy you may get with the steps. It’s the recipe that you can almost make blindfolded.
For me, that go-to recipe is fried rice!
Boy, do I love making fried rice. It’s such a simple and delicious dish with endless possibilities! I love loading mine with veggies and tofu and, lately, turmeric. The turmeric adds such a nice spicy and earthy flavour to the rice. At home, back in Indonesia, my mum used to make me a similar dish so it always reminds me of her whenever I prepare this dish. And I make this almost every week.
Here’s the recipe video followed by the full recipe. Some professional chefs and seasoned cooks might express scorn for adding my aromatics (onions and garlic) after the tofu and not before, and how I haven’t set aside the tofu pieces after browning them. Sorry. I’m occasionally lazy, and in my opinion, there isn’t a significant difference in taste. Furthermore, it saves me an extra few minutes and a dish which, at 6 pm after a long day at work, makes all the difference in the world.
You can get really creative with this dish. I use brown rice with broccoli and carrots but you can use different veggie combinations or a different type of rice. One time I even used cooked barley and it worked well, too. You can also use tempeh instead of tofu, seitan, mushroom, chickpeas, or all the above. Trust me, I’ve tried almost every possibility under the sun.
Healthy Turmeric Stir Fried Brown Rice
- 1 head of Broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 Red Onion (diced)
- 5 garlic Cloves (sliced)
- 200 g Firm Bean Curd (sliced)
- 2 cups of cooked Brown Rice
- 2 Carrots (sliced thinly)
- 3 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1-2 teaspoon of Light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- A sprinkle of Ground Pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh Coriander
- 1-2 cups of chopped mushroom (optional)
- A sprinkle Kala Namak (optional)
- Heat oil in wok (preferably non-stick) over high heat, add sliced tofu, swirling to coat surfaces; add sliced bean curd.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to bean curd and then add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until brown.
- Add chopped red onion, stir, add garlic and then stir-fry until onions are soft and slightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add brown rice, broccoli and carrots, stir. Then add soysauce and stir for about 3 minutes to mix.
- Add chopped mushroom (optional) and, stir-fry for another 2 minutes more, taste.
- Adjust the flavour by adding more sauce or season to taste.
- Fold in chopped coriander to finish.
Serve with slices of fresh chilli for spicy boost.
If you make this, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below or find me on Instagram and share your creation. Don’t forget to tag me @passionatelykeren so I won’t miss your post.