If you’ve been looking for an easy, healthy and tasty recipe for Anzac biscuits, then let me introduce you to my gluten-free, and refined sugar-free version.
Anzac biscuits are traditionally made with rolled oats, sugar, golden syrup, butter, white flour and coconut. These healthy vegan Anzac biscuits, on the other hand, are made using coconut oil, nut butter and maple syrup and I must admit it’s pretty hard to stop at one.
Why you will love these
These cookies are loaded with oats. Oats are low in calories (one cup gives you only 130 calories). They provide high levels of fibre and have a high satiety index which makes you feel full for longer. Studies have also shown that oats can help lower your cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and increase your appetite-control hormone, which helps you lose weight.
I used a mixture of coconut oil and peanut butter, but if you want, you can replace these with macadamia oil, olive oil and your favourite nut butter such as almond or cashew butter.
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut or coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup flaked or chopped almonds
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 2-3 tablespoon of hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- a pinch of salt
- Add all the dry ingredients (oats, coconut, almonds and salt) into a bowl or a food processor (I use the Tefal Cuisine Companion).
- Add the wet ingredients (oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, water and vanilla extract) into the dry ingredients.
- Turn on the food processor – I use Cuisine Companion (dough attachment P7) and mix for about 15 seconds or until the mixture sticks together.
- Take a spoonful of mixture and form into a small ball. Place onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Flatten the balls using the back of the spoon with enough room around them so they don’t crowd into each other.
- Bake in a low 150 C (300 F) preheated oven for 20 -30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before eating.
- Store in an airtight container for about a week.