I like 15-minute meals. Some days, 15 minutes is all I have to prepare a meal. Other days, 15 minutes is all I’m willing to spend in the kitchen.
Last weekend was one of those times where, either I’d make something very quickly or we’d go out for lunch. I chose the former. This salad took me 15 minutes to make using kale, brown rice, and beans as the main ingredients. Since I had leftover cooked brown rice I didn’t need to cook the rice. If you need to cook your rice, add about 30 minutes to your cooking time. You can buy instant pre-cooked brown rice from the supermarket or do what I do, make a large batch of rice in advance and then freeze them. They keep for about 3 months in the freezer and it takes about 2-3 minutes to defrost in the microwave.
Why I love this salad
This kale, brown rice and bean salad not only easy to make, but it is also nutritious, delicious, and satisfying. It’s very ‘hands on’: you start by ‘massaging’ kale with a bit of oil to break down the fibrous structure of kale, making it softer and more palatable (i.e. so it won’t taste like grass). Then you just add the remaining ingredients, toss around for a bit and voila, the meal is served.
Kale is rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory benefits, cancer-preventative compounds, cholesterol lowering properties, vitamins and minerals. It’s low in calories (a cup of fresh kale has only about 40 calories) and rich in insoluble fibre which is good for digestion. Beans are an excellent source of antioxidants, complex carbohydrates, and soluble fibres. They help maintain your blood sugar levels, keep you full for longer, and are a great source of plant-based protein. Nutritional medicine not your thing? Just eat this, your body will thank you.
- 1 can of 4 beans mix, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 ripe avocado, flesh removed and diced
- 3 cups of kale leaves, stem removed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Juice from half lemon
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Place shredded kale leave in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and gently massage the kale with your hand (just like kneading bread dough) for about 2 minutes or until the leaves are softened.
- Add rice, beans, tomato and avocado into the bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Gently toss to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and/or share a picture on Instagram and tag me so I can see you creation.
Love and greens,