Friends, this is the best homemade soy yogurt I’ve tasted (and created). Being vegan and dairy-free, finding a good yogurt is bloody hard. Some are ridiculously overpriced, and some are full of sugar and flavourings. Some taste good but way too rich for everyday consumption (and yes I’m looking at you CoYo). But this…this is perfect.
It’s creamy, tart, and thick (it can be made even thicker if you could be bothered draining the whey, which I don’t). But more importantly, it is super easy to make.
You don’t need even need a special equipment or a yogurt maker or a thermometer. It’s almost foolproof.
The Steps. It’s easier than you think
Here’s my steps to making this homemade soy yogurt.
- Get a good non-dairy starter culture. I highly recommend Belle+Bella which you can get from Iherb. You can also get a probiotic capsule from the pharmacy.
- Use a good quality soy milk. I used Vitasoy Soy Milky for this recipe. It’s my favourite at the moment. Bonsoy also work great
- Get an insulated lunch bag and a mason jar. The bag will act as your ‘incubator’ and the mason jar filled with hot water will act as your heat pack to keep the temperature inside the bag nice and warm for your culture.
The secret to making Homemade Soy Yogurt without a yogurt maker
When I was making this soy yogurt for a first time, I was worried that I don’t have a yogurt maker to make it. But then I was reminded of my time as a Microbiologist. Bugs grow… even if the temperature is not optimum. The colder or hotter temperature will just make them grow slower or faster (unless it’s too hot in which case, they will die). So as long they in an ‘okay’ temperature, they will be ok. I know a lot of people are nervous about not having everything in perfect condition for these little bugs but trust me… they’re tougher than you think.
Without a yogurt maker to keep the temperature at the optimum level for the bugs to grow, we need to do something in order to get the same result. And that is by doubling the amount of starter required.
That’s it. That’s the secret.
There you go!
Homemade Soy Yogurt (Without A Yogurt Maker)
- 500 ml soy milk
- One packet of non-dairy yogurt starter or one probiotic capsule (I use Belle + Bella.)
- 2 clean mason jars
- An insulated lunch bag
- Heat up 500 ml soy milk in a pan until it almost come to a boil. Set aside to cool to about 35 C (warm to touch).
- Add a packet of non-dairy yogurt starter
- Pour into one of the jars and place it inside the lunch bag
- Pour hot water into the other jar and place it inside the lunch bag
- Close the bag and let it sit in a dark warm place for 2 days. Taste and if it’s ready, place in the fridge to cool.
- Add your flavourings.
- I use a teaspoon Beyond Latte Ginger Latte Mix to give it a nice spicy ginger flavour.
Let me know how you go
If you make this homemade soy yogurt, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @passionatelykeren so I won’t miss your post.