They taste mildly sweet, slightly crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Perfect for afternoon snack or footy night!
- 1 large sweet potato – peel and cut sweet potatoes into chunks
- 1 cup potato or tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoon gluten free plain flour (I use Bob Red Mill, gluten free flour, you can also use rice flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil
- Bring water to a boil in a steamer.
- Steam sweet potatoes in steamer basket, cover. Steam for about 10-15 minutes or until cooked and tender.
- When tender, mash with potato masher. Let it cool down.
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix them together well.
- Roll the a tablespoon of mixture into a small ball, about 2cm in diameter.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or a deep frying pan on medium to low heat.
- Deep fry sweet potato balls in oil until golden brown. (Note: the balls usually start to puff up after 20-30 seconds).
- Drain on paper towels.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and/or share a picture on Instagram and tag me on the picture.