Indonesian Style Sheperd's Pie (Pastel Tutup) – Vegan
A hearty meal with fragrant spices and delicious plantbased filling
- 500 g potatoes
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 250 g pack firm bean curd (finely diced)
- 2 carrots (finely diced)
- 1 cup black fungus
- 100 g dry rice noodles
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
Vegan Bechamel Sauce
- 3 tbsp <a href="https://www.passionatelykeren.com.au/glorious-butterless-butter/">vegan butter</a>
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Black pepper
- Sea palt
To make the mashed potatoes mixture:
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes or tender but not falling apart. Drain. Mash potato with a potato masher or a large spoon until fluffy.
To make the filling:
- Soak rice and black fungus with hot water for 5 min until soft.
- Cut rice into short strand and chop up the fungus.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium high heat, cook chopped onion until soft and fragrant.
- Add in chopped beancurd, and carrots, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add stock cube and coconut milk. Bring to boil and simmer until carrots turn soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add in black fungus, vermicelli, five spice powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Adjust the taste, bring to boil and then remove from heat and aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour filling on the pans and let cool slightly (about 5 minutes)
- Cover with mashed potato mixture (you can just spoon it on top or use a piping bag like I did).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is nicely brown. Serve with a good drizzle of vegan bechamel sauce.
To make the Bechamel Sauce
- Place oil and flour in a saucepan on medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the soy milk and whisk to prevent lumps. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
If you make this, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below or find me on Instagram and share your creation. Don’t forget to tag me @passionatelykeren so I won’t miss your post.