I love a good protein ball! And judging from the number of balls I see on the internet, a lot of people love them too. I think protein balls are taking over the food world. They’re slowly invading the counter space at the city cafes, the health food stores, the Instagram, and soon… your very own kitchen, if not already. At least I hope so, with this recipe.
But before you make them, be warned! There vegan protein power balls can be quite addictive so you want to be careful not to eat all of them in one go! They can also give you a burst of energy and alertness so it’s best not to have them at night. My boyfriend said that they trigger vivid dreams when he consumes them at night. I won’t get to excited about this potential lucid dreaming side effect as I’ve never experienced this myself.
Why I love these vegan protein power balls
First of all, there’s no cooking or baking involved. It’s a pretty straight forward mix and roll operation. You can adjust the mix before you roll and because you don’t need to cook them, you can eat them as you roll (not advisable for those with a ball addiction :P). They’re rich in fibre, protein, healthy fats, slightly sweet and very moreish. Perfect for snacking in between meals or as an afternoon pick me up.
- 1 1/4 cup of your favourite nut flour (I use 1 cup ground almond and 1/4 cup coconut flour)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaped scoop protein powder (my favourite is Bioglan rice protein powder and Sunwarrior raw protein powder)
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 12 dates (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 hot water
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- A generous pinch of salt
- For Coating
- 2 Tbsp of cacao powder, matcha powder, or dessicated coconut
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth
- Take 1 heaped tablespoon of mixture and roll into balls
- Dust or roll the balls onto a couple of tablespoon of cacao powder
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how they turned out for you! Leave a comment below and/or share a picture on Instagram and tag me in the picture :)