Today, we’re gonna transform some lives. With real good donuts. Behold, the Life Changing Donuts.
How life changing are these donuts, really?
For me, it was like making a new friend: when you’re craving a donut-like experience and you’ve learned how easy it is to make a bunch of these babies, your life will never be the same again.
They’re baked not fried, egg-free, dairy-free, and 100% vegan. You can make them gluten-free by using gluten-free flour instead of normal plain flour and you could easily make them refined sugar-free, as well, if you opt to use coconut sugar or Natvia instead of plain sugar. They’re versatile, incredibly healthy and very tasty! The best thing about them is that they won’t make you feel guilty or sick after eating them. Don’t you just hate that remorseful feeling after a delightful but sinful meal, even though it’s a treat and you know you shouldn’t feel bad about it? You just can’t fool your body.
By the way, these donuts aren’t just for girls. My boyfriend Nat likes them so much that I have to make a double batch just so there’s some left over for me! If you follow me on my social media accounts you’ll see I’ve made four batches already over the last two weeks! It’s actually quite fun making these donuts, so I don’t mind it at all.
You will need a silicone donut pan
One piece of equipment you’ll need to make these Life Changing Vegan Donuts to perfection is a silicone donut pan. I use a mini donut pan like the one below, which you can get from Amazon.
You can also get a normal size donut pan. You just might need to adjust the baking time to allow for a bigger donut, maybe 15-17 minutes instead of 1o-12 minutes.
Did I tell you that these life changing vegan donuts are healthy, but tasty?
Honestly, these are one of the easiest things I’ve made in a while They’re up there with pancakes. You just mix the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients, then combine the two, and finally bake. Too easy.
I’m doing a lot of testing and experiments to see how far I can push this recipe before it starts to well… fail. I managed to make an oil-free version of the donuts last night so I’m looking forward to sharing that one with you. In the meantime, here’s the recipe for the first version of the Life Changing Donuts.
Life Changing Donuts
- 1 cup plain flour (or gluten free flour for gf-free option)
- 1/4 cup sugar (coconut sugar or your favourite sweetener)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice powder * (or your favourite flavours, see notes)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chia seed mixed with 3 tbsp water (let sit for 5 min)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients to dry ingredient and then scoop 1 tbsp onto mini donut pan. Smooth the surface with the back of the spoon. Make sure to fill the pan 1/2 full or you will have mushroom-shaped donuts instead. Trust me, they have a lot of lift in them.
- Bake for 10-12 min until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove the donuts from the pan.
Matcha – add 1 tablespoon of matcha powder
Chocolate – add 2 tablespoon of cacao powder or Dutchpressed chocolate
Coffee – add 1 tablespoon of freeze dried coffee or a shot of espresso
These donuts freeze well so you can make a double batch and freeze them, if you can wait that long. They last about one month in the freezer.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and/or share a picture on Instagram and tag me in the picture.